There is a lot written about strategies to help parents and their kids get along better. Well-meaning advice sometimes makes it sound possible to steer a course over the years without raising your voice, without anger, without parents themselves becoming the four-year old. Some children are easier than others and being with them and guiding them almost just comes naturally, as if any sensible parenting style would work. Autistic children take a lot more energy and determination. Guilt can become mixed up with frustration at becoming the kind of parent you never imagined you wanted to be.
With some children, it can feel as if there is no sensible parenting style that works, even after trying lots of them. Many strategies sound wonderful in textbooks, but of course are difficult in real life. It is commonly noticed when a homeopathic remedy has done its work and certain attitudes or behaviours have settled, that parenting strategies become easier to implement.
Environmental toxins, such as lead, cadmium, and carbon monoxide, have been thought to be linked with autism. For each individual there may be a wide number of possible responses to external and internal stresses, some children develop autism. Some resilient children seem to be relatively unaffected by these disturbances — their health and happiness stay in balance without major effort. It is this balance and resilience which homeopathy strives to achieve for every child. At the Harbord Homeopathic Clinic we will sometimes advise the need for a hair analysis to determine the level of heavy metals and other nutrient minerals in the body.
Autism research finds new conclusions about homeopathy
Several carefully written reports of case studies have highlighted the use of homeopathy in research in autism spectrum disorders. Conclusions from these published autism case studies include:
- If children are diagnosed early and start homeopathy early then homeopathy can be more effective
- On the other hand, even in teenagers, homeopathic treatment may positively affect behaviour. There is a decrease in aberrant behaviour and better social integration
- Homeopathy generally may bring about improvement in the area of behaviour and sensory impairment quite early during the course of treatment. Though one study found that they could not obtain the desired results in sensory problems and communication skills
- Children with dull normal intelligence showed the highest improvement in research, followed by children with mild retardation
- Obsessiveness takes longer to be addressed than hyperactivity
- For an effective outcome, frequent repetition of remedies in some conditions may be needed
- The longer the child is given homeopathy the better the outcome
- However, occasionally the response may be faster. You can read about a case of homeopathy autism recovery by clicking here.
- One study found that not much improvement could be observed in specific cases of regurgitation of food,. Nor in making loud noises and certain specific autistic behavioural activities
- In one study, no improvement or partial improvement was found where another condition was present such as a parasitic infestation
- Around the world researchers, parents and practitioners are calling for more autism research and natural autism treatment
The Autism Support Project in Australia
The Autism Support Project was set up in 2013, by Linda Beaver from the Newtown Homeopathic Centre in conjunction with the Aurum Project which is an Australian homeopathic research charity. This initiative was in response to the increase in ASD children and because parents are searching for answers in natural therapies.
The Autism Support Project brings affordable care to ASD children and offer partially subsidised or half price treatment for children diagnosed with ASD. There are a growing number of practitioners around Australia who are Autism Support Project Recognised Providers.
Find an Autism Support Project Recognised Provider
Selected practitioners have been recognised because of their experience and training in this field. They are fully qualified homeopaths and members of professional associations. They have participated in a process of peer review, case presentation and ongoing professional development about developmental problems in children. Click here to find a Recognised Provider of the Autism Support Provider.